Case-partners: AAU innovation
In AAU you can find the innovation department which aims in helping entrepreneurs and start-ups develop and grow through workshops, spaces and mentoring. AAU has three campuses, Aalborg, Esbjerg and Copenhagen, been Aalborg the main one. This separation is not desired by AAU innovation as it drains the opportunities of networking and developing ideas of the students. Therefor we were assign with finding a tool/solution which solve this separation, offering the same opportunities to all the student no matter where they study.
The three campuses are – right now – not connected, this means that the students/ Start-Ups at the campus in Aalborg does not know what is going on in Copenhagen and the other way around. Due to the cost and time consumed in travelling between campuses, it is hard for the campuses to work together, this makes it even harder for the student to work together across the campuses. The distance also ends up in students not having the same opportunities – not access to the same lectures, mentors, workshops etc.
What is our assignment:
How can there be made a ‘bridge’ between the three campuses, so the students can participate in the other campuses in an easier and reliable way? How can the connection between the campuses be improved?
The design process has been divided up in three weeks.
The first week was meant for field work and research, centred in understanding the assignment and getting an impression of the case. On Wednesday afternoon, our group went to see the AAU innovation, where we got a tour around the building and we had the opportunity to interview some of the members taking part in the different activities. That same day, after the tour, we had the opportunity to participate in a workshop, learning on first hand how the workshop are structured and drove by the case partner (see Picture one). Through the whole day we gathered information by filming, interviewing and constantly observing the surroundings and activities.
The following day, we processed our information and focus on finding problems observed during the field work. After pulling out several problems, we made a brainstorming on solutions. In Picture two the red posters are the problems and the green posters are the solutions. After matching up the problems and solutions, we started connecting the solutions and creating concepts. Picture three shows the different concepts divided in groups.
As soon as we had these concepts, more details and thoughts were put in to it. One of the concepts was tested. The concept was based on virtual reality, therefor we tested how today´s VR technology could help us solve the physical disruption experience when using other technologies in distant team-working.
In the second week all the concepts were presented on a meeting with the case partners. As a conclusion we agreed on the quality criterias with the case partners, and further more to combine a lot of the concepts (See Picture four). On the following days the video sketching started, and all the finishing were put in to the completed concept.
The third week was dedicated to a video presentation of the final concept to the case partners.
In the sketch video the problem of the case is shortly described. The video then gives an output of different ways for the three campuses to communicate. It explains concepts such as a magic interactive blackboard, a workshop kit, and a workshop camp. The video uses stopmotion.